Brevard County Sheriff’s Office is happy to offer a “Self Defense Through Tactical Shooting & Decision Making” Course. This 8 hour course is designed to give civilians the opportunity to learn safe gun handling skills as well as the legal aspects of gun ownership. The course will be delivered in 4 parts:
- Part 1 – Sheriff Wayne Ivey will speak on Self Defense Through Mental Preparedness
- Part 2 – State Attorney Phil Archer will speak on the Law-Stand Your Ground and the Castle Doctrine
- Part 3 – Tactical Shooting/Weapon Retention/Firearms Safety
- Part 4 – Shoot, Don’t Shoot Scenarios
Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate as verification of training that satisfies the State training requirement to acquire your Concealed Weapons Permit from the State of Florida. You can contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing at (850) 245-5691 for further information about the permit process. Concealed Weapons Packets can also be picked up at your local precinct. Click here to find the precinct nearest you.
Requirements & Other Information
Must be 21 years of age or older and pass a background check.
- Serviceable Unloaded handgun (No sharing, No Title II, NFA or Assault Weapons)
- 100 rounds of factory Ammunition (no re-loads)
- Eye protection, ear protection and hat
- Inclement weather gear (recommended)
Enroll by mailing the registration form and a $50.00 check or money order to the
Brevard County Sheriff’s Office,
Attention: Career Development Unit
700 Park Avenue
Titusville, Fl 32780.
Money is non refundable. Check should be made payable to: Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.
Download the Registration Form (PDF Printable version)
Your check and registration form must be received in our office no later than 10 days prior to class date to be enrolled. Once we receive your payment and registration information, you will receive confirmation of enrollment and directions to the firing range.
- July 30– Full
- September 21– Full
- September 24–Full
- October 22-Full
If you have questions regarding this course, please contact the Career Development Unit at (321) 264-5281.